Brazilian Butt Lift
The Brazilian Butt Lift Explained
There are many ways to improve the contour and shape of your body. If you feel self-conscious about excess fat, liposuction with fat transfer to the buttocks may be a good option for you. In plastic surgery, this is commonly referred to as the Brazilian Butt Lift. Having liposuction slims and reshapes the body contours, improving lines and proportion. This allows us to remove the fat from areas like:
- Inner thighs
Brazilian Butt Lift Procedure
When we perform a Brazilian Butt Lift, we are using your own fat to augment your buttock area. This means that the fat can be reabsorbed by your body. This occurs because the fat that is reinjected is a natural, living part of you. As with any surgery, results can vary depending on many factors. Typically, about 50% of the fat reinjected will remain after surgery. We will often have success from just one round of fat grafting to the buttocks. Depending on the look you are going for, we can discuss your personal preferences in detail and tailor the procedure that fits your individual needs.
Once we have removed the fat, we can process it and use it for natural shaping in areas that we want to add more volume. By redistributing this fat to the buttocks, we can create a curvy, shapelier appearance to the midline and waist. This is a way to use your own natural fat to augment your buttocks, rather than using unnatural material or implants. This leads to safer outcomes, and a more natural curvature to your waistline.
“Dr. Schierle and his team were outstanding! From the initial consultation to the final outcome, it was an extremely patient-centric and quality experience. Dr. S listened to and actioned my input and he was very sensitive to my needs. The recovery and results have been amazing.” -Elizabeth
Brazilian Butt Lift Recovery
As with any surgery, experiencing soreness and discomfort after the procedure is expected. Recovery time can last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. Typically after surgery, you will experience pain for 1-2 days, and soreness for 2 weeks to 2 months. Depending on the amount of liposuction performed and the nature of your profession, you can likely be back to work in 1-2 weeks.
Brazilian Butt Lift FAQs
Who is an ideal candidate for a Brazilian Butt Lift?
The Brazilian Butt Lift procedure may be ideal for you if you:
- Are in good general health and able to tolerate anesthesia and recovery.
- Have realistic expectations after speaking with your board-certified plastic surgeon.
- Can stop smoking and consuming alcohol as specified by your doctor.
- Would like to sculpt your body to better proportions that include a shapelier backside.
- Have good skin elasticity and no sagging in the buttocks region.
- Have sufficient fatty tissue in one or more areas of your body.
What are the benefits of a Brazilian Butt Lift?
BBL surgery achieves several beneficial objectives. These include:
- Improved body proportions. BBL surgery isn’t just about enlarging and sculpting the buttocks; it is about enhancing the overall contours of the body. Building out the backside, the BBL can achieve more of an hourglass figure or simply better projection.
- Body contouring away from the surgical site. The end-goal of the BBL procedure is to add shape and volume to the buttocks. However, to do so, we must sculpt another area, such as the thighs, hips, abdomen, or flanks. Contouring smooths the transitions from one part of the body to the next.
- Natural look and feel. Some say that buttocks implants feel like tight muscles. The Brazilian Butt Lift process enhances like with like. Buttocks volume comes from fat, not muscle. Introducing natural fat into the buttocks maintains the relatively soft look and feel you’re used to.
- Fast, lasting results. Many people spend months or years trying to enhance their backside through exercise. The BBL process works quickly, inserting natural fatty tissue where it can live on forever. Although some of the new fat gets absorbed after the Brazilian Butt Lift, most patients undergo this procedure only once to get results they love.
How does Brazilian butt lift surgery work?
Brazilian butt lift surgery is growing in popularity! During this surgery, we perform liposuction to any area where you have excess fat- often this is the abdomen, flanks, thighs or back. We process the fat and inject it into the buttocks to create volume in this area. SAFE liposuction (Separation, Aspiration, Fat Equalization) is a technique performed that allows for substantial fat to be removed smoothly and evenly.
How long does a Brazilian butt lift take?
It can take 3 to 4 hours to complete a Brazilian Butt Lift. Patients can expect to be at the surgery center for about 5 hours on the day of their procedure. After surgery, the remainder of your time at the center is spent in a monitored recovery area getting you ready to go home.
How long does a Brazilian Butt Lift last?
The volume that is retained between 6-8 weeks following a BBL should be a representation for the final results. Assuming there are no excessive fluctuations of weight gain or loss, the results should be permanent.
What are the risks of a Brazilian Butt Lift?
The Brazilian Butt Lift has gone through a time of questioning its safety. An independent clinical review of the procedure determined that most of the serious complications that had occurred were related to poor training and technique. Since that time, plastic surgeons have refined their BBL techniques to achieve excellent results with few risks.
For a safe and successful BBL process, patients must take care in choosing their physician. The Brazilian Butt Lift is not a low-cost procedure in which a bargain deal is a good deal. There are risks such as necrosis, tissue death, infection, embolism, bleeding, and prolonged sensations in the skin. There is also a risk of asymmetrical or unsatisfactory cosmetic results.
Expect your plastic surgeon to discuss their surgical techniques with you during your consultation. An experienced surgeon will have practices in place that minimize surgical risks related to this particular procedure. For example, performing a thorough assessment of your body, including where fat is held and the overall shape of the buttocks before surgery. Surgeon’s familiar with this procedure know how to inject fat properly to avoid intramuscular injections and damage to blood vessels.
What should I not do before a BBL procedure?
When you schedule your BBL procedure, you will receive full pre-operative instructions from the office. Generally, patients should:
- Not lose weight. The Brazilian Butt Lift relies on fat to reshape the buttocks. If you lose a significant amount of weight before you consult with a surgeon about this procedure, you may not have a sufficient amount of fat to obtain your desired outcome. While it can be counterproductive to lose weight before a BBL, it is also necessary to maintain a healthy diet that nourishes the body before surgery and recovery.
- Stop using tobacco and nicotine. Smoking, tobacco use, and nicotine consumption inhibit wound healing. These substances should be avoided starting 4 weeks before surgery to reduce surgical risks and recovery time.
- Avoid medications and supplements that increase the risk of bruising and bleeding. Patients should avoid all ibuprofen products, including MOtrin and Advil. Tylenol may be an appropriate alternative if pain-relief is needed. Supplements such as fish oil and vitamin E should not be taken. Prescription blood-thinners may need to be altered by the prescribing physician weeks before surgery. Finally, patients should not consume alcohol the week of their procedure.
Does a BBL procedure require anesthesia?
Yes. Anesthesia supports a safer, more comfortable procedure. General anesthesia is usually administered for this procedure. However, some doctors have begun performing BBL’s using a local anesthesia and sedation. Patient safety is always our top priority when conducting any procedure. Please ask questions that arise about anesthesia so your doctor can discuss the reasons for their recommendations. The better informed you are about the Brazilian Butt Lift procedure and process, the more confident you can feel in your decision.
Are Butt Lift Results Permanent?
The results of a Brazilian Butt Lift are permanent when the fat cells are harvested properly. Touch-up injections could be necessary for maintaining that gluteal appearance over time. Or to further enhance the look you have now. Lifestyle changes such as extreme weight loss could cause fat cells to shrink, and change to appearance of your butt lift.
Schedule A Consultation
To learn more about the Brazilian Butt Lift procedure, call our office at (312) 266-6240 and we’ll get you set up with a consultation with one of our surgeons. We are happy to help give you the sculpted, curvy appearance you are looking for.